With the chances of the 2020 CrossFit Games actually occurring in limbo, it was dealt yet another blow as two of the sport’s biggest stars announced that they would decline their Games invitation in the wake of Greg Glassman’s recent remarks. In separate posts, both Chandler Smith and Noah Ohlsen posted on a black background, white text that simply stated “I’m out.”
- Chandler Smith: “Until changes to CrossFit are made, I will not be participating in the 2020 Games.”
- Noah Ohlsen echoed Smith’s statement adding: “This is probably the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make. It’s been weighing on me for days. I’ve consulted many of my closest supporters. All of that said, I’ve decided that I cannot, in good conscience, compete during this time for a company that hasn’t shown themselves to have values that I align with.”
The bottom line: During a whirlwind of activity on Sunday afternoon that saw hundreds of the sports most well-known athletes, personalities, sponsors, brands and affiliates speak out and condemn the actions of CrossFit’s founder. Smith and Ohlsen are the first to not only voice their displeasure but also announce immediate action in terms of their competitive future.
- Smith in his post also commented: “It is my hope that others join me in applying pressure to HQ in order to improve the organization we love and make it better going forward.”
- When the Morning Chalk Up reached out to Smith for a quote he replied, “Actions speak louder than words.”
Update: After initial publication, Kristi Eramo O’Connell also stated on Instagram that her “participation in the 2020 CrossFit Games will be contingent on major changes being made in the leadership of CrossFit.”
- “If I’m not comfortable associating the business we own with the current state and leadership of CrossFit, then I to myself will also not support or participate under the CrossFit events held by this leadership,” she concluded.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.